Bristol Mk1, Mk31 and Mk 32 Freighter
FSAddon with Simon Smeiman (GFA) like to bring you the lesser-known classic and historic aircraft and we think we have another special model with our Bristol Freighter. This aircraft will be especially fun to fly for those of you simulating freight airlines and cargo flying !
Designed by the Bristol Aeroplane Company, in 1944, the Bristol Type 170, was intended for military use, being designed as a utility transport capable of airlifting the standard British Army 3-ton truck. However, it arrived a little late for WWII, and instead became Bristol’s first post-war production model. The prototype first flew on 2 December 1945.
Production amounted to 214 aircraft in the various versions being built between 1945 and 1958.
The Bristol Freighter featured large clamshell doors at the front of a large container-like fuselage allowing complete cars and other large loads to be carried.
The aircraft was utilized by several air forces including the RAF, Argentina, Australia, Canada and Pakistan, as well as commercial operators around the world.
The final variant was the Mk.32, also known as the Super Freighter, with a fuselage stretch of 1,52m (5 feet) giving a distinctive ‘droop’ nose. Built for Silver City Airways this allowed for up to three cars and 21 passengers to be carried on their English Channel “air bridge” service.
This package consists of the following 5 aircraft configurations:
- Mk.1M (Military- Type 170). Square wingtips with glazed clamshell doors. Cargo: Jeep/cannon and fuel drums.
- Mk.1 (Civilian). Square wingtips with glazed clamshell doors. Cargo: 2 vehicles (Combi bus and Mini car).
- Mk.31 (Civilian). Rounded wingtips and enlarged tail fin with glazed clamshell doors. Cargo: 2 vehicles (Combi bus and Mini car).
- Mk.31 (Civilian). Rounded wingtips and enlarged tail fin with solid clamshell doors. Cargo: 2 vehicles (Combi bus and Mini car).
- Mk.32 (Super Freighter). Cargo: 3 vehicles (Combi bus and Mini and Anglia car).
The package also comes with a special ‘Load Manager’ to help you load and unload the freight into and from the cargo hold, with lots of nice animations !