Author Topic: Problems installing Tongass in P3D v3  (Read 5693 times)

macwino

• View Profile
Problems installing Tongass in P3D v3
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:30:57 PM »
I had no problem installing Tongass in P3D v2.5, but installing it into v3 isn’t working for me. I have the known and common problem of trees filling the areas where there should be water at PAPG, but it is not remedied by making Holger’sl manual additions to the terrain.cfg. I hope someone might have some ideas on how to get Tongass to work properly, especially now that the adjoining Pacific Fjords has been updated for v3.

I followed the exact same procedures I followed with v2.5. I used the latest development build of the Migration Tool (19 October). This gives me the files installed in the main v3 folder and the appropriate Scenery Library entries, which I move to just above the Orbx openLC entries as directed by Orbx.

The terrain.cfg wasn’t updated as part of the installation, so I added the 40 renumbered entries as directed by Holger and increased the total number of entries shown at the top by 40.

As far as I know, I’ve done all that should be necessary but the scenery is still displayed incorrectly.

I’ve tried moving the Scenery Library entries to the very top of the hierarchy, copying my updated terrain.cfg file to the main P3D v3 folder, running with the Migration Tool enabled - all to no avail.

At this point, I’m stumped and would appreciate hearing from anyone who’s gotten Tongass to work in v3 or has some ideas about how I might solve this problem.

Thanks,
Robert

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems installing Tongass in P3D v3
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
Unfortunately Tongass was made for FSX and anything else that goes is 'nice to have'. Holger is not going to adapt it further I'm afraid. I don't have P3D V3 installed, so cannot say anything sensible on the subject myself.

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Hi Robert,

note that the active terrain.cfg in P3D v2.5 and 3.x resides in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 (or \Prepar3D v2), not in the main P3D folder!

Cheers, Holger
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:28:48 PM by Holger Sandmann »

macwino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 01:36:46 AM »
Thanks, Francois and Holger, for the input. All is now working just fine!

A real dumb mistake on my part. I keep a shortcut on my Desktop for the Lockheed Martin folder which is inside the Program Data folder so that I can readily access it. To modify the terrain.cfg I just clicked on this shortcut and modified the terrain.cfg inside that folder.

Unbeknownst to me, however, was that this wasn't my shortcut, but instead was a backup copy of this folder that I'd probably placed on the Desktop a few days ago in case it got corrupted doing some process I was doing, perhaps even the initial Tongass installation. So I was modifying the terrain.cfg correctly, but it wasn't in the operative folder so P3D couldn't see the modifications. Copied my modified terrain.cfg file, navigated to the proper folder using the path Holger mentioned, and pasted it there - and I was good to go.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for making me take another look at the folder I was accessing to do the modification.

Robert