Author Topic: How do I install Tongass Fjords into P3Dv2.5  (Read 13843 times)

pipeorgan

• View Profile
How do I install Tongass Fjords into P3Dv2.5
« on: April 15, 2015, 07:32:54 AM »
I have performed a fresh install for P3dv2.5 and am not now using the Estonia Magration tool. What is the correct procedure to install TF into P3D? ( I have'nt got FSX installed)

Regards. John
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:32:51 PM by pipeorgan »

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
Re: How do I install Tongass Fjords into P3Dv2.5
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:43:51 PM »
Hi John,

the process is a lot easier with the migration tool; see http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/object_libraries_build/#tongass

Without it probably the best approach is to run the installer into a temporary folder of your choosing, then move all folders and files into their corresponding P3Dv2 folders. Don't forget the airport elevation adjustment files, AI traffic folders, sounds, and effects. The final steps will be to add the custom terrain.fg entries as per the sticky thread in this forum and then to manually add the two Tongass Fjords entries into your scenery library menu.

The Tongass configurator panel won't work but the default settings should be the ones you want anyway.

Cheers, Holger

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:37 PM »
Many thanks Holger for your instructions, I will need to set some free time up to work through the process but I know that it will be very worthwhile:)

I have been tempted to use the migration tool but as P3Dv2.5 is running so well and most developers I use are now supplying native installers I will try your manual process.

It seems as if there is still a great following for your superb Tongass Fjords and I feel sure that many P3D users would pay for a native installer, I certainly would.

Best regards. John

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Hi Holger

Still struggling I'm afraid:) you say:-

.........'Without it probably the best approach is to run the installer into a temporary folder of your choosing'  Ok Done. 

'then move all folders and files into their corresponding P3Dv2 folders. Don't forget the airport elevation adjustment files, AI traffic folders, sounds, and effects'

The Tongass Fjords installer made the following folders:

Cache containing BGL files a sub folder with  some flight files
Docs
Tongass_Fjords_Higher_Priority
Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority
containing scenery and texture folders. I have added the higher and lower folders to my P3DV2.5 Addon folder which I have created but not sure what to do with the cache files!

Where are the  elevation adjustment files, AI traffic folders, sounds, and effects?

'The final steps will be to add the custom terrain.fg entries as per the sticky thread in this forum  and then to manually add the two Tongass Fjords entries into your scenery library menu.' Ok done.

If you could please give me a little more help on this I would really appreciate it.

Best regards  John

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:02:39 AM by pipeorgan »

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »
Hi John,

if you point the Tongass installer into a new folder somewhere on your HD (and outside of P3Dv2) it should have created five folders:

Effects
FSAddon
Scenery
SimObjects
Sound

The FSAddon folder would then contain the "Tongass_Fjords" folder and inside of it the four subfolders you list in your post. Are you sure that the four other upper-level folders weren't created?

The contents of the two actual Tongass_Fjords folders are already configured with the default settings of the Tongass configurator panel (see manual) so you can leave the cache folder as is; it contains alternate versions and updates only.

Cheers, Holger
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:56:54 PM by Holger Sandmann »

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 02:51:03 PM »
Thanks Holger for the clarification.

I have used an application called FSAD_Tongass_Fjords_X_SM from my archive which I thought was my backed up installer. Problem is that it only installs the folder FSADDON with the subfolders shown in the attached pic and does not include the Effects, Scenery, Simobjects or Sound folders!

I cannot find my account on the new FSADDON site and seems as if I will have to contact them to request a re download as seems as if my installer/Setup app is not working correctly, what do you think?

Regards  John

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
Hi John,

the actual Tongass Fjords FSX installer is named "Tongass_Fjords.exe" (1.01 GB -- 1,093,257,643 bytes) so that's what you'll need. I'm sure Francois at FSAddon will be able to help you get your account information and a new download link if needed.

Cheers, Holger

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:32:05 AM »
Thanks Holger, I thought that might be the case. Just searched for my order confirmation and can see now that it was with Simmarket, not directly with FSADDON, so I will re download it from them tomorrow. I should have checked this first before bothering you, sorry about that :-[

Thank you for the first class support.

Best regards. John

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
Hello Holger

I have re-downloaded the file FSAD_Tongass_Ffords_X_SM  file and it seems to be the same as my archived file; the SM I guess must be for SimMarket. It is 1,067,670 KB which is slightly less in size which you indicated!

When I run it I get exactly the same result as I previously mentioned. I only have the FSADDON folder installed and no Effects, Scenery, Simobjects or Sound folders, unless of course they are being installed somewhere else. Sorry to be a pain but I am sure I am installing correctly.

Cheers. John

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
Hi John,

(been following this discussion silently :-) ) .... did you try to install it into a 'dummy' FSX folder to see what folders and files get unpacked after running the install, without messing up your real FSX folder?
The downloaded file is indeed the SimMarket (SM) version and the size is correct, so you should have everything on your hard disk. (substitute P3D for FSX in my remarks).

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »
Hi Francois, I have'nt got fsx installed, only P3DV2.5. I did install into an empty folder called TG and the folders created are shown in one of my posts. Is this what you mean about a dummy fsx folder?

Cheers John

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »
Assuming 'TG' would be your FSX or P3D folder, yes. But you are showing (on the right side) only the files WITHIN the FSX/FSADDON/Tongass Fjords
folder.
The 'regular' Simobjects and other folders and files are TWO LEVELS higher, i.e. directly in the TG folder. Can you check that for me please?

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »
I only showed the folders in the Tongass Fjords as there were no folders in the TG other than the FSADDON folder which only contained the Tongass_Fjords folder. I said showed as I have subsiquently been trying to uninstall the TG installation and the installation will not uninstall properly. I think that I have messed up trying to install Tongass_Fjords into too many dummy flight sim folders I was thinking that it was just putting folders and files into my dummy folders but I think that it is doing a bit more than that:)

Is there any way I can cleanly start again to install Tongass into a dummy folder? I do not want to cause you all too much bother so if there is no simple solution then I may reconsider a complete flight sim reinstallation at some stage and start again with Tongass-Fjords.

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »
Hi there,

if you're installing into a dummy folder you don't really need to use the uninstaller to get rid of it; just delete the folder and start again.

I've attached below the complete list of files and folders that Tongass Fjords installs. Perhaps you can search your harddrive for some of the effects, sounds, AI folders, or other "external" files to check whether the installer drops them somewhere else. Did you ever have FSX installed on this disk?

Cheers, Holger
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:08:32 AM by Holger Sandmann »

pipeorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 10:36:41 PM »
Thanks Holger, found them :)

Yes I uninstalled fsx some time ago, but strangely the missing folders have been installed into my C drive see attached pic. I am not sure if an empty Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder was already there or if it was created by Tongass_Fjords installer but as you can see it only contains the Tongass folders and files. The other FSADDON folders and files are on my E drive where I pointed my Tongass installer to!

OK I will now continue with your instructions and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again  John