Author Topic: TAF Sling 2 performance tweaks  (Read 4179 times)

rooitou

• View Profile
TAF Sling 2 performance tweaks
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »
I recently started renewal of my PPL (lapsed 10 years ago) and joined a flying club with two Sling 2 aircraft to train on.

I also have the FSAddon Sling 2 for FSX which I bought some time ago and thought it would be useful to train on FSX. However, besides the EFIS being very poorly modelled, I also find the performance of the FSA Sling 2 to be very inaccurate and not nearly like the real thing, despite almost identical engine and specs. There are several things that I have a problem with, but particularly the acceleration on take-off is pathetic in the FSAddon Sling. It takes forever to take off, whereas in real-life the Sling accelerates and gets in the air very quickly, even at the high altitudes of Johannesburg. Also when you throttle down or come in to land, the real-life Sling is very "slippery" and doesn't slow down easily, whereas the FSA Sling loses speed way too fast and almost feels "sticky" to the air.

I found the Alabeo PiperSport (a very similar-looking LSA, also with Rotax engine) to have the most accurate flight dynamics, almost spot on in fact. So I tried to copy over the "flight_tuning", "engine data", and "propeller" entries in the aircraft.cfg of the PiperSport to that of the FSAddon Sling, but that results in a super-Sling with jet-like performance. So that is not the answer.

Is there anyone who can give some advice on tweaking the aircraft.cfg entries (or anywhere else) to give better acceleration and more "slippery" (ie harder to slow down) flight dynamics?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:45:14 AM by rooitou »

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TAF Sling 2 performance tweaks
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
Simon might be able to help you..... but he always has problems getting enough bandwidth to get on the forum. I'll shoot him a note.

rooitou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
Thanks Francois, really hope Simon can help. I'd like to fly the Sling in FSX (and P3D actually) and would gladly assist Simon in refining the flight model. It is a great little aircraft in real life and deserves to have a presence in our simulators.

Perhaps you guys could give it a P3D v4 update?

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Not sure Simon can run P3D..... I don't have it installed myself anymore.... things need to be set up after our emigration. Will take some time I'm afraid.

Skysim

• Beta Testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
Welkom Rooitou. Met so 'n bynaam kan jy net 'n Gautenger wees ;)

Thanks for your input an willingness to assist with the tweaking of the Sling 2 flight model.
I did some tweaking to the .air file and the .cfg. If you can inbox me your e-mail address then we can take it from there to do some so more tweaking. Hopefully we will get there within the limitations of FSX.

I am busy with another FSX project at the moment but will redo the EFIS sometime to try up the frame rates.

rooitou

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
Hallo Skysim, jy is doodreg, Rooitou is 'n straat hier naby waar ek bly in Jhb  ;D

I will send you my e-mail address, hopefully we can get that Sling's performance a bit closer to the real thing. By the way, one of the older guys at my flying club (JFA) know about the FSAddon Sling and reckon that the yellow one belonged to them at the time you did the modelling!?

It would be great if you can improve the EFIS. It is causing me a lot of frustration in real life as well. Besides me being old-school and preferring "steam gauges", every EFIS is different. Every aircraft owner can change layout and settings to suit him/her. If I therefore get into another Sling, chances are good that I will have to spend a bit of time getting familiar with its EFIS first. I can only imagine that it must have caused you some frustration in deciding what configuration to go for. I did get hold of a PC simulation of one of the more basic EFIS models. I can send that to you as well, as it will give you a very good "template" to work from.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:47:43 AM by rooitou »

Skysim

• Beta Testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
Great!
Email me: smeiman@yahoo.com