Author Topic: P3Dv3 - Additional runway and apron over the top of Tongass Fjords PASI  (Read 5298 times)

paralipsis

• View Profile
I have just installed Tongass Fjords X to P3Dv3. After manually updating the terrain.cfg as per Holger's instructions, most things seem fine. I fear there may me and issue with with the airport surfaces though. I have so far only attempted to fly out of PASI, and I have noticed that the proper runway and apron are being replaced by what look like default textures (which end up being REX replacements in my case) and these are raised several metres on a platform. I looks like the lighting objects are buried under this platform as well as the default textures.

In P3Dv3 it looks like this:

Whereas if I load up FSX:SE, I get this, which looks to be pretty much spot on:

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: P3Dv3 - Additional runway and apron over the top of Tongass Fjords PASI
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
I am sure Holger will reply too, as he always does. But meanwhile please note that Tongass Fjords has only been developed (and tested) with the original FSX SP2 in mind and Holger is not officially supporting any of the newer iterations of FSX.

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 06:47:25 PM »
Hi there,

looks like either you forgot to also copy the eight Tongass airport elevation adjustment files or you have competing add-ons for PASI. As to the former the Tongass X installer places the following
8 files in the \Scenery\World\scenery:

AF2_FSX_TF_CAB5_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_CBM5_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_CBW4_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAFE_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAKW_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAPG_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PASI_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAWG_elevation_adjustment.BGL

Cheers, Holger

paralipsis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:24:28 AM »
You are indeed correct. It seems like I clearly haven't done nearly enough to migrate Tongass Fjords to P3D.

I have now read more carefully through all listed posts on the forum and found where I glossed over the problem. There is a post that mentions an attachment with all the files I need to migrate across, but for the life of me I can't see the actual list. I can see other attachments on other posts, but not on the critical one. There's an attachment icon, but no attachment. It's all very odd.

I've done my best to see what I could find, inferring location based on other comments and narrowing down based on the date of file creation. Luckily it's the only thing I installed to FSX in the past week or so, so that helps a lot. So far, in addition to the elevation adjustments I have found:

\effects\texture\
fx_HS_landing_light.bmp
fx_MF_marine_light.bmp (Already in P3D, but I overwrote it without thinking to back it up. At this point I slowed right down)

\effects\
fx_AI_ship_wake_s.fx
fx_HS_*.fx (47 files)
MF_AI_B206_rotorwash.fx
MF_cabin_chimney.fx
(30 of these files were already present, I'm beginning to suspect that these are shared by PNW and others, so I held off overwriting)

\SimObjects\Airplanes\AI_Floatplane_DHC-6_Twin_Otter_TFX\*.*
\SimObjects\Airplanes\AI_DeHavilland_Dash_7_Cargo_TFX\*.*
\SimObjects\Airplanes\AI_Floatplane_DHC-2_Beaver_TFX\*.*
\SimObjects\Airplanes\AI_Floatplane_DHC-3_Otter_TFX\*.*
\SimObjects\Airplanes\AI_Floatplane_DHC-3_Turbine_Otter_TFX\*.*

\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_22ft_boat_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_30ft_boat_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_40ft_boat_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_Fishing_Boat_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_Leconte_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_Matanuska_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_Princess_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_USCG_Anacapa_FSX\*.*
\SimObjects\Boats\AI_Vessel_TF_Volendam_FSX\*.*

\SimObjects\Rotorcraft\AI_Rotorcraft_Bell_206L_TFX\*.*

\scenery\World\texture\
HS_FSX_ice_water_hw.bmp
HS_FSX_ice_water_lm.bmp
HS_FSX_ice_water_su.bmp
HS_FSX_ice_water_wi.bmp

\sound\
FSAddon_sounds_gulls.wav
FSAddon_sounds_harbor_busy.wav
FSAddon_sounds_shore_gulls.wav

I feel like I have probably accounted for everything. It didn't look like I needed to go file by file through the entire \scenery\ directory structure. But otherwise it feels like my only potential errors were my overzealous overwriting, or perhaps lack thereof.

I do have one remaining issue, but I'm not sure if I should ask about that here, or at the REX site. But the REX textures are overwriting the PASI runway, as shown in the updated screenshot below. Note the repaired elevation by following your advice above, and restoration of the taxiway and apron textures, but the runway is the REX4 one. I was flying out of the new version of KFHR yesterday, and it has its add-on specific runway texture intact, not the default replacement from REX. I'm not sure if this is to do with relative texture resolutions, or whether there's some other priority sorting thing that is going awry. But I would like to be able to use the Tongass Fjords bespoke runways where that makes sense to do so.

paralipsis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:19:52 AM »
Please disregard the latter part of my last post. I am very quickly learning how airports are put together, at least insofar has how they look in ADE. I've adjusted the REX textures I use to fit in better with PASI, and with any luck the rest of the TF airfields as well. I'm looking at balancing that with minor tweaks to the airport bgl files with ADE. But with the application of far lighter REX textures, the changes need only be subtle ones.

As to the bit about the manual file transfers, it would be great if you could reattach the list of files that need moving so that I could run them up against the files I located. Also, can you confirm whether it would be best to leave what files seem to be duplicated? It seems likely that they are actual duplicates of one another, but if there are revisions involved, then the Tongass Fjords ones are presumably the older versions.

Oh, and while I'm rambling on, I should mention that Tongass Fjords is totally worth all the extra effort to get working in P3D. It really is a great rendition of a wonderful part of the world.

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 05:34:41 AM »
Hi again,

indeed, the Tongass Fjords X airports don't have full ground polygon coverage meaning how the runways appear depends on which, if any, third-party replacement you have installed for generic runway textures and markings.

As for the file list I've added it to the pinned thread at the top of this forum: http://fssupport.com/fsaddonforum/index.php?topic=34.0 . Not sure that was the list referenced elsewhere but it is a complete list of all Tongass Fjords X files.

Cheers, Holger

paralipsis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
That will indeed come in very handy. Not least so I can keep all the install information alongside the installer for future reference.

Thank you for all your help.