Author Topic: Tongass Fjords X custom terrain.cfg entries  (Read 23355 times)

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
Tongass Fjords X custom terrain.cfg entries
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »
Hi all,

attached below is a zipped text file that contains the block of 40 custom entries that the Tongass Fjords X installer automatically adds to the terrain.cfg file. If this doesn't happen then the most obvious issue is that all water in the Tongass Fjords X coverage area will be displayed as land. If re-installing Tongass or running its repair function doesn't fix the problem then those entries can be added manually. Below are the instructions how to do this. The same procedure applies for Prepar3D users that want to install Tongass without the Flightsim Estonia Migration Tool (or if the latter doesn't work correctly).

The active terrain.cfg file is in the main FSX/Prepar3D fodler. Note that starting with v2.5 of Prepar3D the location has changed to "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" (for Prepar3D v3 it's /Prepar3D v3)

Update July 13, 2016:  If you want to install Tongass Fjords X into Prepar3D v3 without the use of a migration tool,  Elaine has kindly written up a very well illustrated step-by-step guide, which is availabe at Avsim here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/491556-how-do-i-install-tongass-fjords-x-for-prepar3d-v3/

1. Make a backup copy of your current terrain.cfg file in case something goes wrong with the manual editing

2. Open the attached file and your current terrain.cfg in Wordpad, Notepad or some other text editor and copy & paste the entire Tongass block at the bottom of your terrain.cfg

3. Scroll to the top of the terrain.cfg and note the number next to "DefaultTextureCount=" then find the first "Tongass Fjords FSX custom texture" entry and change the "xxx" in its [Texture.xxx] line to that number

4. Go through each of the other 39 Tongass Fjords blocks and change their [Texture.xxx] accordingly, increasing each entry's value by 1; make sure not to end up with any duplicates or missing numbers

5. Scroll back to the top and add 40 to the current value of "DefaultTextureCount="; save the terrain.cfg and the next time you start FSX/P3D the Tongass X water and other features should display.

Cheers, Holger

P.S. (Dec 21, 2015): I've also attached a complete list of files installed by Tongass Fjords X for people who want to double-check their installation.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:26:53 PM by Holger Sandmann »

Molew

• View Profile
Re: Tongass Fjords X custom terrain.cfg entries
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:13:03 AM »
Thank you sir!

Tomsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:29:02 PM »
Thank you Holger! I got Tongass Fjords years ago and really was afraid that it would be unusable in the future!

I'm using almost every ORBX scenery but Tongass Fjords is still my favorite! It would be great to build a "quadruple installer" for FSX and the P3D Versions (including 2.5 with the "misplaced" terrain.cfg)  ;)

Best regards from Germany

Tom Schroeder

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
The problem with now multiple FSX's around (FSX classic, FSX:SE, P3D) developers and publishers are hard pressed. All this effort costs time and doesn't generate any money.... causing a problem  :-[

FSRobert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
The problem with now multiple FSX's around (FSX classic, FSX:SE, P3D) developers and publishers are hard pressed. All this effort costs time and doesn't generate any money.... causing a problem  :-[

Nothing wrong with asking for a donation concerning changes to a product. I have been using TongassX since its debut and would be glad to donate for the time and effort with the changes needed in P3D. 

Thanks so much for the file.

Cheers
Robert

norbertobi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:04:22 PM »
Thanks Holger for the useful tip and the ZIP data for the installation of Tongass Fiords under Prepar3D V2.5. The installation worked fine. How Tomsel, I would be happy and willing to pay for an update, if there was a version with P3D. Together with the ORBX-scenaries include the Tongass Fiords for me to my favorite flying areas.
Greetings from Italy
Norbert

Mithrin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »
Thank you for providing this fix and tutorial. I'm glad to see it works again and I'm back to flying into some of my favourite strips again!

Thanks again.

P.S. a small upgrade fee to get a fully working P3dv2 install would be more than acceptable.

Donaly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 02:04:44 PM »
A great THANK YOU for the fix. Worked perfectly and now I am able to use P3d V. 2.5 for some of my Misty Moorings missions that require Tongass Fjords addon.
By the way, it always worked perfectly with FSX, but I like the graphic rendering of P3D which brings me more contrast and mor intensive colours.
Cheers,
Yoland in sunny Switzerland

francois

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »
Gruezli Yoland,
glad it works for you :-)

Tenpin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 04:01:45 PM »
Thank you Holger and Francois, The tide is in and looking great.

Screwbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
Hello forum members, Holger and Francois

My first post to this forum, even though I have had and used Tongass Fjords and Vancouver Plus 3, with the FTX Orbx PNW, CRM, NRM, PF, Ketchikan etc add-ons scenery to compliment them for years.

I am so glad to be able to get to here and apply that fix for the tree/ground water issue. What I found today, and I was experimenting (back up the terrain.cfg as advised) with the download files, is that it was not necessary to use Holgers download file with the block in it. I use a very good search tool called Agent Ransack / File Locator lite from MythicSoft, and I did a search for all terrain.cfg files.

I found one located in the Tongass Fjords scenery folder, and in there I found the 40 odd entries already numbered. So I copied them with the sequence numbers already in place, and then pasted them into the root terrain.cfg file for both FSX and P3D. One thing to note and be careful of is to not paste them in the middle of other sequenced files there, but find an entry at the end of a prior sequenced number set, does not matter where I discovered, as long as they are placed in their own group and in their Tongass block.

I did not change the sequence numbers as advised in Holgers post, again as I said I was experimenting, saved the file and then started both simulators. The startup was a little slower at first, subsequent startups went back to normal, and no issues at all. And after shutting down the simulator, I opened up the root terrain.cfg's and found that the simulators had changed all of the sequenced numbers in order, including the block for Tongass. So I offer this with the usual caution, but one can save some tedious time in renumbering all of the entries for Tongass. This also worked for the Vancouver block as well, the terrain.cfg also found in the Vancouver folder, and I found the same block for Vancouver in the Tongass terrain.cfg, so I used that as well.

Try it, it works, I repeated my work a number of times and no failure or problems with the SIM's, and the re-numbering of the sequence happens every time. If anyone does get a failure, then you might have done something wrong, but YOU DID BACKUP the file as advised. Simply copy it back and start again. Hope this is of help to others, maybe Holger can append this to his procedure and make it a sticky.

Regards
Andrew Brown

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
Hi Andrew,

thanks for posting. I've never experienced this "self-sorting" ability of terrain.cfg myself but perhaps it does happen in the specific circumstances you discovered. I need to test this myself one of these days.

Incidentally, FTX Central also checks the consistency of numbering of terrain.cfg entries each time it's run. Perhaps, if the Tongass or VancouverPlus blocks are inserted in the manner you describe, then FTX Central might perform the same auto-renumbering of the FSAddon blocks even though it doesn't specifically look for issues with third-party products.

Cheers, Holger

Screwbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
Hi Holger

Yes, agreed, and I have further tested, using your block with the xxx for the number sequence as well as what I find in the Tongass Fjords file, and it works consistently, wherever you place the block as long as the block is complete in sequence. FSX renumbers the entire sequence from the block to the end of file.

One thing I am having on new installations of FSX with PNW, PF, CRM etc of FTX Orbx installed with all patches and updates including libraries, is I am still getting trees in the water, from Ketchikan all the way up to Kake in the north, and the area around. I help two friends who have bought also the Orbx FTX Ketchikan add-on, like myself with Vancouver Plus and Tongass Fjords (the latest version 1.15), and it does not matter what I do with the sequence in the library order, edit the scenery.cfg (been at this many years since FS5, and in IT for 40, so know what I am doing) and the terrain.cfg, and I am sometimes lucky, but more than not negative over positive.

I tested this on a fresh install on my two desktops (my old installation is still working fine with Tongass 1.15 and Ketchikan), two very high end systems, and I also experienced this. So I cannot figure what is in place on an old installation compared to a fresh installation, and identical settings and .cfg placements. If I leave the Orbx FTX Ketchikan in place and uninstall Tongass then the problem goes away. So as I see it, there is still something in Tongass or reacting with other scenery, and an exclude that is not keeping the trees at bay, at least the water stays, and not replaced with land. I've recently acquired P3D v3.0 and will be testing on this shortly.

I'll send some screen shots to show later.

Regards
Andrew

MartinO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:01:16 PM »
Tongass Fjords no water. I have downloaded the file TongassFjordsX_terrain-cfgblock however when I edited the terrain.cfg in Prepar3d the entries for Tongass already there so instead of pasting the downloaded file I edited the existing 40 texture.xxx numbers as described and increased the default number by 40. The water is still not there. Have I done anything wrong?

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
Hi there,

it's not possible for the Tongass Fjords entries to just magically appear in terrain.cfg so either you've used some other method, like the EMT tool or a copy of the FSX version of the .cfg, or you're looking at the wrong terrain.cfg file.

Which version of P3D are you using and what directory is the terrain.cfg in you've looked at?

Cheers, Holger