Author Topic: Tongass Fjords in P3D4 and TreesHD  (Read 6603 times)

DoubleBush

• View Profile
Tongass Fjords in P3D4 and TreesHD
« on: May 27, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
Is the scenery going to be working in new version of P3D?

Can you implement the Orbx Trees at the same time?

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
Re: Tongass Fjords in P3D4 and TreesHD
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 06:12:55 AM »
Hi there,

yes, and a bit of no. I've had a first look today (manual installation as per the guide) and the scenery itself appears to be working just fine and looks really quite nice with the new lighting & shading options.  On the downside, Lockheed-Martin has discontinued backwards compatibility with FS9-style AI models, which were used in Tongass Fjords. This causes display issues with animated parts meaning parked or taxiing aircraft don't have landing gear and some jumbled or black textures. I'm not a modeler and thus don't know what's involved in converting/updating the models to P3D format; perhaps someone with the required skills will take on the task at some point, assuming conversion is possible.

Orbx HD Trees are global replacement textures that will continue to work as before. One difference with P3Dv4 is that one can choose between the current cross-shaped autogen tree models (those are the textures that HD Trees replace) and the new 3D SpeedTree models. While the latter look much more detailed up close they cost quite a few more fps, don't have the same diversity and seasonal variety, and generally have narrower crowns, which means closed forests appear less dense than with the cross-shaped autogen. As mentioned though, one can choose between these two types in the P3D display menu via the "Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation" checkbox (requires restart of the sim).

There also may be some minor issues with water-related visual effects, like shoreline surf and wake effects, but those should be straightforward to fix.

Cheers, Holger

DoubleBush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »
Thanks for the quick answer. Are you saying the current version of TFX is supposed to support Trees HD? I've read Orbx prohibits using them in external addons?

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
Hi DoubleBush,

not sure where you read that but TreesHD replaces all default autogen tree textures and thus is displayed globally, in the default areas as well as with any add-on, not just the Orbx products. Those textures don't determine which tree species are displayed or where they are placed, only how they look. It's like an aircraft repaint for trees.

Some of the Orbx Regions and airports have additional autogen tree types of their own but that doesn't impact Tongass Fjords in any way.

Cheers, Holger

shortspecialbus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »
Out of curiosity, will there ever be an automated installer for TFX in P3Dv4?  It'd be helpful but hardly necessary.

-stefan

Bushido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
I know it is not supposed to be compatible but I try installation of Tongass on P3D4 following the tutoriel posted on AVSIM and I have constant CTD.
Anyone manage to install it with no issue ?

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
Hi there,

were those crashes with AI traffic active? One of the comments I've read about the issue with FS9 models in P3Dv4 is that they may lead to CTDs when approaching them with a user aircraft. I didn't encounter any CTDs but haven't spent a lot of time with Tongass yet either. I suppose a quick cross-check is to set all AI traffic sliders in the P3D menu to 0%.

Cheers, Holger

Bushido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
Thanks Holger that was indeed linked with the AI traffic but not all.

Using the Tongass Configurator I try the various AI traffic and the culprit is the DHC 3 Otter and DH6 Twin Otter.
If the box is checked P3D crashed if uncheck no issue.
Other AI traffic seems to work fine (I didn't try the Dash 7 and Bell 206 as they are FS9 portover)

Thanks again !

fltsimguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 09:03:42 PM »
Thanks Holger that was indeed linked with the AI traffic but not all.

Using the Tongass Configurator I try the various AI traffic and the culprit is the DHC 3 Otter and DH6 Twin Otter.
If the box is checked P3D crashed if uncheck no issue.
Other AI traffic seems to work fine (I didn't try the Dash 7 and Bell 206 as they are FS9 portover)

Thanks again !

Thank you for this. What I am just doing then (since I have this installed in P3D V3, click the DHC-3 Otter and DHC-6 Twin Otter floatplanes box, OFF...and apply.  Then using the scenery library in P3D V4 just adding the two scenery layers in the appropriate order...hope this works.

fltsimguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
So, now...what with the missing terrain.cfg entries?

I thought that the new format for the terrain.cfg was such that one should not edit that file with notepad.  That one would need a program that ensures it maintains the proper format...which I don't know anything about.

fltsimguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 10:00:42 PM »
So  I edited the terrain.cfg and added the 40 terrain.cfg entries required. I backed up the original terrian.cfg file.

I pointed my scenery library to the two entries in my P3D V3 install.

I previously opened the Tongass config editor and deactivated the DHC-3 Otter and DHC-6 Twin Otter and saved that configuration (those planes are in the wrong format for P3D V4 and will cause a CTD.

The scenery looks great at first blush...however, there are elevation corrections required, I obviously had to go and find these and put into the world>scenery folder for P3D V4.

stiletto2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »
Hi there,

yes, and a bit of no. I've had a first look today (manual installation as per the guide) and the scenery itself appears to be working just fine and looks really quite nice with the new lighting & shading options.  On the downside, Lockheed-Martin has discontinued backwards compatibility with FS9-style AI models, which were used in Tongass Fjords. This causes display issues with animated parts meaning parked or taxiing aircraft don't have landing gear and some jumbled or black textures. I'm not a modeler and thus don't know what's involved in converting/updating the models to P3D format; perhaps someone with the required skills will take on the task at some point, assuming conversion is possible.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

We are working on this for our users at Return To Misty Moorings.  Dex  has been testing TFX in P3Dv4 and so far, the Dash 7 is the only AI model that has shown up as needing conversion.  Even though, many of the AI floats are FS9, they seem to work and display okay for Dex.  See this link for more info:    http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3463.0

Rod

rgerdes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 01:42:26 AM »
Hi Holger,
There also may be some minor issues with water-related visual effects, like shoreline surf and wake effects, but those should be straightforward to fix.

Until someone fixes the shoreline waves (they're also in the ORBX scenery) is there a way to turn them off universally?

Thanks.
Bob

Holger Sandmann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »
Hi Bob,

the surf effects are directly attached to the shoreline vectors and thus can't be selectively removed. The only option is to globally deactivate special effects with the respective slider in the P3D menu.

Cheers, Holger

rgerdes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »
discovered you can also also turn off the swoosh texture bmp;s and they don't show  ;)
out of sight out of mind is good enough for now